Our senior team
Jo Mithen, Chief Executive Officer
- Advanced Management Programme, INSEAD
- Executive MBA, Melbourne Business School, The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Monash University
- Bachelor of Economics (B.Ec.), Monash University
- Fellow, Australian Human Resources Institute
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
As a Monash University alumna, Jo is a proud advocate of the power of an excellent education and the opportunities it provides.
She joined Monash College in 2008 as Chief Executive Officer. Having worked at senior levels with universities for more than 15 years, her expertise lies in her ability to recognise market trends and affect change.
Under her leadership, the company has tripled student enrolments and strengthened the quality of graduates entering the University. She has also extended international College partners, invested to diversify College leadership succession and unified the College under a single vision.
Julie Coleman, Director, People & Culture
- Bachelor of Business (Human Resources), Deakin University (formerly Victoria University)
Julie brings corporate and professional services experience to the education sector, having worked across the Asia-Pacific region for more than 20 years.
She has held senior positions in prominent international companies, including SingTel Optus, BHP Billiton and law firm Dibbs Abbott Stillman (merged with Thomson Geer).
Julie's portfolio includes change management, communications, employee relations, human resources and associated services, eLearning and professional development, which form the backbone of our company's culture.
She partners with Monash University and collaborates with the diverse areas of our College to further our vision of student-centred growth.
Cynthia Kralik, Director, English and Foundation Year
- Master of Education (International Education), Monash University
- Bachelor of Arts (Social Sciences), La Trobe University
Cynthia's extensive experience in the tertiary and English-language sectors spans teaching, teacher training, business development and senior management.
Appointed as Director to our English Language programs in 2012, Cynthia expanded her portfolio to include our Foundation Year programs in 2015. As Director English and Foundation Year, she oversees the strategic direction of these core programs delivered in Melbourne and internationally, ensuring quality curricula, teaching and academic standing to support student transition to Monash University.
She has previously held senior roles at RMIT University and is currently Deputy Chair of the Board of English Australia.
Amanda Semertzian, Associate Director, Governance, and Company Secretary
- Certificate in Governance Practice and Administration, Governance Institute of Australia
- Graduate Certificate in Executive Administration, Swinburne University
- Bachelor of Arts (Classics and Archaeology/History), The University of Melbourne
Amanda has worked across the legal and education sectors for more than 15 years. Joining our college in 2008, she now manages academic governance and corporate governance across our College, in addition to supporting our Board as Company Secretary.
Her role includes overseeing course and institutional accreditation, conducting program audits and ensuring regulatory compliance across all College programs and corporate areas. She also advises our college on the development and maintenance of education pathway products and academic board management.
Dr Matthew Sukumaran, Director, Partnerships and Development
- General Management- Harvard Business School
- Graduate- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- DBA (Southern Cross University)
- Barrister-at-Law (Gray’s Inn, London)
- LLM –Commercial Law ( King’s College- University of London)
Bachelor of Laws Hons ( University of Buckingham)
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member of Hon. Society of Gray’s Inn
Member of the International Education Association Australia
Philip Ward, Workplace Director
- Bachelor of Architecture, Deakin University
Philip brings more than 25 years' experience in master planning and architectural methodology to his role at Monash College.
As Workplace Director, Philip leads the team that creates our College's corporate and student spaces. Connecting with Monash University and commercial property holdings in the central business district, his team effectively manages our College facilities to enhance the student experience in line with our College vision.
Joining Monash College in 2014, his position also includes the dual function of Design Director, a key role in designing new College sites to support our rapid growth.
Taryn Rulton, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer
- Fellow, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Graduate, Institute of Company Directors
- Executive Master of Public Administration, Australia and New Zealand School of Government (University of Melbourne)
- Bachelor of Science (honours)(Accounting and Finance)(Economics), Oxford Brookes University
With more than 20 years in finance and banking, Taryn is an expert in financial and organisational strategy. She has experience working with government agencies, not-for-profit organisations and the private sector.
Having personally experienced the joys and challenges of international student life, Taryn is committed to strengthening Monash College's operations to ensure the best possible outcomes for our students as they progress to Monash University.
She is Chair of the Victorian Council of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, as well as a member of the Australian Accounting Standards Board, the body that sets the framework for Australian financial reporting.
Dr Muyesser Durur, Director, Monash College Diplomas
- Executive Development Program (Management), Harvard Business School
- Doctor of High Performing Teams and Transformational Leadership in Vocational Education (Leadership and Transformational Change), University of New England
- Master of Business Administration (Human Resources Management), University of New England
- Graduate Diploma of Business (Policy Studies), Deakin University
- Diploma of Community Development, Victoria College
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Senior Honorary Fellow, LH Martin Institute for Tertiary Education Leadership and Management, University of Melbourne
- Fellow, Australian Human Resources Institute
Muyesser brings more than 20 years' higher education, strategy and transformational leadership experience to her work at Monash College.
She is passionate about education's power to transform lives. She sits on numerous boards, holds a Senior Honorary Fellow at the LH Martin Institute for Tertiary Education Leadership and Management (University of Melbourne), and is president of YWCA Victoria.
She has worked in senior leadership at La Trobe University, the Department of Education and Training New South Wales (NSW) and University of New England.
In 2013 she won the NSW Business Chamber Regional Business Excellence Award in Business Innovation for her work at Charles Sturt University.
Muyesser joined Monash College in 2015.
Brooke Young, Director, Monash Professional Pathways
- Master of Enterprise (Executive), University of Melbourne
- Postgraduate Diploma of Art Curatorial Studies, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Arts, La Trobe University
- Certified Practicing Marketer, Australian Marketing Institute
- Member, International Education Association of Australia (IEAA)
- Member, Association for Tertiary Education Management (ATEM)
Brooke brings more than 25 years' experience working with universities across the USA, UK and Australia.
Her extensive expertise spans student program and service design, change management, global marketing and recruitment, international and domestic partnerships and quality assurance.
An award-winning marketer, Brooke has also held executive roles at the University of Melbourne's Graduate School of Business and Economics, and Victoria University.
Brooke has implemented a global consulting program for students in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai and Bangkok. She also has experience employing advanced career management programs funded by Learning and Teaching Performance Fund Grants.
Brooke joined our College in January 2016.