A Monash College Diploma of Arts provides a pathway into the second year of a Monash University arts degree.*
In Part 2 of your Diploma you can choose from two study streams. The stream you choose depends on
which study area you want to focus on in 2nd and 3rd year:
- Sociology – for students considering majors in sociology, media & communications, or international studies.
- Psychology - for students considering majors in psychology, media & communications, or international studies.
We work closely with the University to develop the curriculum so you will be prepared for your degree.
Five reasons to choose the Diploma of Arts:
- A pathway into second year of an arts degree Monash University.*
- Learn on campus at Clayton.
- You want to study psychology, sociology, media and communications or international studies and would like to make a start on your future degree.
- Receive individual attention – benefit from small class sizes and learning support.
- Study the same curriculum and assessments as first year undergraduate students.
Diploma of Arts course structure
Part 1 consists of two trimesters over eight months. Study four core arts subjects each trimester that will prepare you for your preferred stream in part 2.
Part 2 consists of two trimesters over eight months. Each trimester you will complete four core arts units that will prepare you for second year of the Bachelor of Arts. Depending on your preferred major, you will complete either two sociology units or two psychology units.
You will study the same curriculum and complete the same assessments as first year undergraduate students. Classes will help you develop your critical thinking skills and university research techniques. These skills will prepare you for success at Monash University.
Assessment consists of a combination of essays, group projects, oral presentations, research papers and final exam.
Your future career options
A Diploma of Arts can lead you to a career in:
- marketing and advertising
- public relations
- music performance
- international relations
* Entry requirements into Monash College and Monash University apply.