Student visas

Visa requirements

You must have a valid student visa if you are an international student who wants to study in Australia.

Visa regulations for studying in Australia

The Australian Government issues student visas for full-time study on the understanding that you:

  • study on-campus
  • have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses while you are in Australia.

With a student visa, you can do some paid work while you study. There is a limit of 20 hours per week during course time. There is no limit to working hours during scheduled course breaks. Visa regulations for studying in Australia are set by the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Applying for a visa

Contact an Australian Government office in your home country to apply for a student visa. An Australian Government office could be an Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or Consulate-General. Find out which visa to apply for using the tools at the DIBP website.

Assessment of visa applications

All visa applications are assessed by the Australian Government according to your:

  • country assessment level
  • visa or education type (subclass)
  • medical, financial and English language requirements

Country assessment levels

Your country assessment level will depend on the:

  • type of passport you hold
  • education sector relevant to your application

Visa type (subclass)

Your visa subclass is based on the education sector in which you wish to study. Relevant Monash education sectors are listed in the table below.

Visa type (sub class) Monash equivalent
570 Independent ELICOS Monash University English Language Centre
573 Higher Education Monash University undergraduate and masters by coursework
574 Postgraduate Research Monash University masters by research, or doctoral degree
575 Non-award Foundation Studies/Other Monash Abroad
575 Non-Award Monash University Foundation Year
576 AusAID/Defence Sponsored AusAID sponsored scholarship students

Bachelor degree, associate degrees, graduate certificates, graduate diplomas and masters by coursework all have the visa subclass is 573 - Higher Education.

Masters by research and doctoral degrees both have the visa subclass is 574 - Postgraduate Research.

Medical, financial and English language requirements

Depending on your country of origin and/or your country assessment level you may also need evidence of:

  • a¬†medical check
  • sufficient funds
  • English language proficiency

English language testing

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the only English proficiency test currently accepted for non-government and non-agency sponsored students in certain assessment levels. However, check the DIBP website for information on changes to English language test options. Find an IELTS test centre using their worldwide search.