Policy Changes for COVID-19
Due to the COVID-19 health emergency, Monash College has made temporary changes to some of its academic policies and procedures to help manage responses to the crisis. These changes have either been approved directly by the College’s Academic Board or by program-level academic policy owners under delegation from the Academic Board as follows:
- Admission (Director Governance)
- Enrolment and progression (Director Governance)
- Academic progress (Director English, Director Foundation Year, Director Diploma)
- Attendance (Director English, Director Foundation Year, Director Diploma)
- Assessment (Director Governance).
The following list is subject to change and may be updated from time to time.
In line with Monash University’s Admission Policy, students impacted by COVID-19 can be accepted under one of the following scenarios:
- Incomplete final examinations – awarding qualification obtained (predictive results awarded)
- Incomplete final examinations – awarding qualification not obtained.
- American Admission Tests with incomplete American High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Incomplete Bachelor’s qualification due to final semester examination cancellations.
- Extending the approved English test validity to three years.
- Predicted results to meet course prerequisite requirements.
- Changes to documentation requirements.
Effective date: 27 April 2020
Assessment Procedure – Diplomas and Foundation Year
As well as its usual processes for validating assessment results, the College will review grade distributions in every Foundation Year and Diploma unit and compare these to past results for that unit. If it’s found that the results in the current period have been impacted, grades will be adjusted in students’ favour so as to not disadvantage them in their transition to Monash University.
Diploma Part 2 students who fail a unit will be eligible for a Late Withdrawal so that their failed unit is not counted towards their exit score. This option will not be available to students who fail a unit due to academic misconduct.
Further details are available here.
Effective date: 9 May 2020, for results achieved in Semester/Trimester 1 and 2, 2020
Updated: 21 August 2020, to exclude units failed due to academic misconduct, effective immediately for Trimester 2, 2020 onward
Academic Progress and Intervention Diplomas Policy and Procedure
A Late Withdrawn grade that has been amended from a Fail grade may be treated as equivalent to a Fail grade for the purposes of enacting any part of the Academic Progress and Intervention Diplomas Policy or Procedure, if the relevant decision maker specified in the policy or procedure has reason to believe that it is in the student’s best interests or that there is an equally compelling reason to do so.
If a Late Withdrawn grade is used in this way, the decision maker is responsible for recording the rationale for the decision and ensuring relevant evidence is maintained on the student’s file.
Such decisions will also be recorded and reported via the standard APC reporting process.
Effective date: 25 June 2020, for results achieved in Trimester 1, 2020
Foundation Year Academic Integrity Procedure
During delivery of Monash College programs via the Virtual Classroom, sections 6 and 7 of the procedure, relating to the Academic Integrity Meeting, will be satisfied if the student is notified by email of the details listed in section 6.1 of the procedure and is given at least three business days to respond by email and:
- explain the alleged breach and evidence collected
- provide evidence to support their explanation.
No meeting will be required, although Monash College may request a teleconference to assist in determining an outcome. If the student does not respond in the time specified, then the investigation outcome will be determined on the prima facie evidence available.
Effective date: 24 August 2020, for Semester 2 onwards.
Development and Implementation of an Assessment Regime Diplomas Procedure
For any Part 2 internal assessments or exams with a threshold hurdle, this hurdle will be lowered to 40.