English as a medium of instruction
Program Aim and Objectives
The programme is aimed at lecturers or teachers in higher education who are lecturing/teaching subjects in English. It is designed for lecturers whose first language is not English but who have a strong command of English (minimum IELTS 6.0).
This program will:
- review the key elements of planning and delivery of lecturers, seminars and workshops
- focus on common challenges for lecturers and students and provide solutions
- develop English language communication skills in the teaching role
- develop an understanding of Content and Language Led Learning and provide strategies and skills to support it
- provide opportunities to practice the skills learnt and receive feedback and guidance.
Program Outcomes and Key Benefits
At the end of the course, participants will be:
- more confident in planning and delivering lectures, seminars and workshops in English
- better at communicating to second language learners in English
- better equipped to understand learners and how to support their learning in English
- able to support other lecturers to develop their knowledge and skills in English as a Medium of Instruction.
This is a tailored program that takes into consideration the context of the participating teachers. We will customise the course for each participating organisation based on needs we identify through research into the teachers and the organisation’s leadership.
The program is collaborative, with participants involved in micro teaching with each other. Participants provide feedback to each other on classroom teaching and how it felt as a learner.
We use participants' feedback collected during and after the course to measure the effectiveness of the program.
Reports on each candidate will be provided at the end of the course including feedback on teaching performance.
The following are the key units and contents covered in the course.
Common challenges and solutions |
Lecture styles |
Structuring and staging a lecture
Clear communication (language and phonology)
|Seminars and Workshops||
Structuring and staging
Managing student interactions
Praise and correction
Introduction to Content and Language Led Learning |
Skills and strategies to aid language development
Peer teaching |
Feedback and development plans
Find out more
Please contact: Duncan Perrin
Manager Strategic Projects
Monash University English Language Centre
T: +61 3 9903 8768
M: +61 (0)415 552 741