Teacher training for higher education
This teacher training program is for English teachers who want to improve their teaching skills to students in Higher Education or pathway program.
This program aims to:
- explore learning and teaching methodologies and their applications in Higher Education
- develop teachers’ skills and strategies for supporting learners and learning
- develop knowledge and use of English teaching resources, including digital resources
- introduce best practice models through observations of classroom teaching.
Program Outcomes and Key Benefits
At the end of the course, participants will have:
- a greater understanding of teaching methodologies and be better able to self-reflect on their own beliefs and practices
- a greater range of practical ideas, skills and strategies for teaching and assessing in their teaching
- a clearer understanding of how English for academic purposes is taught in the Australian context and be able to modify and improve their own teaching
- confidence to find and utilise on and offline resources.
This is a tailored program that takes into consideration the context of the participating teachers. We will customise the course for each participating organisation based on needs we identify through research into the teachers and the organisation’s leadership.
Participants learn in a collaborative environment with group projects and engagement with Monash College staff and students helping them to seek and develop new ideas.
We use participants' feedback collected during and after the course to measure the effectiveness of the program.
The following are the key units and contents covered in the course.
Beliefs and approaches to teaching and learning |
Second Language Acquisition
Student needs and motivation
|Teaching and Assessing||
Teaching Grammar |
Exam Teaching (IELTS)
|Resources & E-learning||
Creativity in the classroom |
Exploiting offline resources
|Observation & Collaboration||
Classroom observation |
Student Focus Group
Teacher Focus Group
Duration: 40 hours
Location: Based on client need
Find out more
Please contact: Duncan Perrin
Manager Strategic Projects
Monash University English Language Centre
T: +61 3 9903 8768
M: +61 (0)415 552 741