What is CELTA?
With the Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA), you can teach English to adults anywhere in the world.
This four-week, introductory teaching training program prepares you to teach English to speakers of other languages.
You do not need any teaching experience to do CELTA. You will participate in teacher training sessions and use the skills and techniques you learn to teach your own group of students. Your tutors will provide you with guidance and encouragement to develop and become an effective teacher.
CELTA is your pathway to exciting opportunities – in Australia and internationally. You could live and work abroad, or you could receive your qualification and teach in Australia. (Please note that in Australia you also require a bachelor’s degree).
CELTA is accredited by Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge.
Why study CELTA?
Find out from our CELTA tutor, Mark Rooney, what CELTA is about, and the opportunities it can lead to.
About the course
CELTA is a very practical course. You will be teaching a classroom of students from the beginning. You will also observe experienced teachers deliver classes to our Monash University English Language Centre students. The course also consists of teacher training workshops, guided lesson planning, reading, and assignments.
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
- Study full time for four weeks; 9am – 5pm.
- 30 contact hours per week plus study and preparation time.
- Two assessment components: written assignments and observed classroom teaching.
For the four weeks, you will need to dedicate about 30 hours per week of additional study and preparation time.
Who can study CELTA?
To study CELTA you will need:
- to be at least 18 years of age
- an excellent level of written and verbal English (minimum IELTS 7.5)
- a good standard of education (equivalent to entry into tertiary education in Australia).
Course dates and fees
|Start date||End date||Duration||Cost|
|15 Mar 2017 – FULL||12 Apr 2017||4 weeks, Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm||A$3100|
|24 Jul 2017||18 Aug 2017||4 weeks, Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm||A$3100|
|13 Nov 2017||8 Dec 2017||4 weeks, Mon – Fri, 9am – 5pm||A$3100|
The Monash CELTA program is taught at our city campus at Bourke St.
Why study CELTA at Monash?
The Monash University English Language Centre is the largest English language centre in Australia. We have a dedicated teacher training department, and our teachers are experts in English and the English language. They’ve helped thousands of people from all around the world to achieve their academic and professional goals.
Careers support – where to next?
We want to help you reach your goals. When you study CELTA at Monash, we will provide you with advice and support when looking for jobs. We’ll help you work out where to look for jobs, and guide you in what employers are looking for in an English language teacher.
Where in the world could CELTA take you?
Monash College English teachers have worked in 78 different countries. If you want an international career, CELTA is your ticket to exciting opportunities.
How to apply
Step 2: if successful, you will be invited to attend an interview.
Step 3: attend a selection interview.
Interested in CELTA and want to know more? Come along to an information session and have all your questions answered.
- what the course is about and what you'll be studying
- what you'll learn - we'll give you a practical demonstration
- what people who've studied CELTA think about the course and the exciting places they've taught English
- where you'll be studying - we'll give you a tour of Monash College
- the answers to all your other questions you want to ask us.
|Wednesday 19 April||5–6pm||Monash College city campus, Level 3, 222 Bourke St|
|Wednesday 17 May||5–6pm||Monash College Clayton campus, 49 Rainforest Walk|
|Wednesday 7 June||5–6pm||Monash College city campus, Level 3, 222 Bourke St|
|Wednesday 28 June||5–6pm||Monash College Clayton campus, 49 Rainforest Walk|
|Wednesday 12 July||5–6pm||Monash College city campus, Level 3, 222 Bourke St|
Please email us at email@example.com to book to attend an information session.
For more information, please contact the Monash CELTA team.
T: +61 3 9903 8768
Free English classes
The Monash CELTA program holds free English classes for people who want to improve their English. These classes are taught by CELTA trainee teachers.
Please contact the Monash CELTA team if you would like to participate in our free English classes.