Homestay is a popular accommodation option. It offers international students the opportunity to live in a local home while studying in Australia. Find out more about becoming a homestay host.
We recommend homestay for students who are under 18 years of age. Our homestay families are specially chosen to provide a safe, supportive home that is within 60 minutes of your Monash campus.
Benefits of a homestay experience:
- a safe and secure home environment
- practise speaking English every day
- enjoy learning about a new culture and teaching the family about your culture.
If you have any questions about what homestay is like, please email us.
Your homestay experience
We have Monash homestay families all over Melbourne. Your host family will introduce you to the neighbourhood and explain how to find your way around Melbourne.
Most of our families live in a house with a garden. Apartments and townhouses are more common if you are living closer to the city.
Before you arrive, we will send you an information pack about your host family. You will find out:
- who is in your host family
- the family's interests and hobbies
- how to catch public transport to your campus.
Read about your homestay host's responsibilities (pdf, 62KB).
A safe and secure home
Your host family will provide you with support and advice to make it easy to settle in to a new country. All hosts are carefully screened and happy to welcome students into their home.
We offer a 24-hour telephone hotline for emergencies. Call the hotline at any time and we will connect you with a Monash College staff member.
Improve your English every day
Practise your English in everyday situations. You will have the opportunity to speak English in a caring and relaxed environment.
You and your host family have a unique chance to learn from each other.
Food, stories, customs and language are shared throughout your stay. You will form new friendships that often last long after your homestay experience has finished.
Arriving in Melbourne
When you arrive, our free airport transfer will take you directly to your homestay family. When you have booked your transfer, send us your flight details so we can make sure your host family will be home to welcome you.
How long can I stay?
Homestay experiences can range from five weeks to 52 weeks, or longer. Before the end of your stay, we will contact you to find out if you want to stay longer.
When you arrive, allow two weeks to settle in. This gives everyone a chance to adjust and get to know each other. In exceptional circumstances we will move you quickly and at no charge.
What does homestay cost?
Price: $350 per week + $350 placement fee
You will have your own bedroom with a bed (and linen), desk, chair, lamp and storage for your clothes. Usually you will share a bathroom with the rest of the family.
The cost includes three meals a day and all utilities except for internet (pdf, 28KB) and phone.
How to apply
Step one: application form
To apply, submit an application form.
You will need:
- agent details (if you have an agent)
- your contact details
- emergency contact information
- your guardian's details (if you are under 18).
Tips for applying:
- Read the terms and conditions before clicking 'accept'.
- Click 'group' if you are part of a study group. Click 'individual' if you are not.
If you do not receive a confirmation email or if you have any questions, please email us.
Step two: pay your fees
When we have matched you with a homestay host, we will email you an invoice with:
- $350 placement fee details (non-refundable)
- homestay nightly fees for the length of your stay.
You can pay by:
- telegraphic transfer
- bank draft
- electronic funds transfer.
When you have paid your invoice, please email us a copy of your receipt as proof of payment. We will then send you your host's profile.
Step three: arrival details
- Send us your flight information. We need to know when you will arrive so that we can give your homestay family plenty of notice.
- Book your free airport transfer at least three days before you arrive.