Studying can be fun and exciting but can also bring challenges as you adjust to a new environment. Our Counsellors are trained professionals who are here to provide you free, confidential counselling to help you manage personal, academic or emotional issues. They can even help you when you don’t know what the problem is!
If you experience any of the issues listed below - or have a problem that you can’t describe yet - meeting with a counsellor can help.
- Personal issues such as stress, anxiety, depression, homesickness
- Difficulty with behaviours like sleep, eating, self-harm, and drug, alcohol or internet use
- Academic concerns or other problems that stop you from doing well in your study or attending classes
- Relationship difficulties or conflicts with family, friends or peers
- Culture shock and other difficulties adjusting to change or settling into your new life
The counselling team
- What happens in counselling?
- Make a counselling appointment
- Counselling hours and locations
- After hours and emergency support
- Looking after your mental health
Our counsellors will:
- listen without judgement
- help you manage your difficulties
- work with you to develop better ways of coping and problem solving
- refer you to external counselling services if your issues require ongoing support (Monash College provides short-term counselling)
This conversation is private so your counsellor will not talk about your problems to others.
To make an appointment to speak with a counsellor, please head to the Counselling Portal here, and follow the instructions below:
- You will receive a text message appointment reminder one hour before your appointment time
- Appointments usually take about 45 minutes
- Make a time to talk with a counsellor when you don’t have class
- You can also log on to the Counselling Portal to change or cancel appointments you no longer need
Monash College has temporarily closed all physical campuses to students and staff until further notice due to COVID-19. However counselling is still available via phone or video. If you are feeling stressed, anxious or experiencing any personal or psychological problems, please make an appointment via the Counselling Portal.
222 Bourke St,
|271 Collins St |
Mon–Fri 9.00am -5.00 pm
Dr Megan Brownlie
Mon, Tue, Thu & Fri 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
(Not available Wed)
Mon 1.00 pm - 5.00 pm
Tue 3.00 pm - 5.00 pm
Dr Megan Brownlie
Wed 9.00am - 5.00 pm
Mon–Fri 9.00am - 5.00pm
(Not available Mon 1.00 pm - 5.00 pm or Wed 1.00 pm - 3.00 pm)
Meeting Room 3.05
For counselling after hours, on weekends or term holidays, students can contact any of the services below:
- External 24-hour phone counselling for Monash students on 1300 788 336
- Student after-hours assistance hotline on 1800 725 315 - this will provide any assistance, not just counselling, outside of normal business hours.
For support outside that offered by Monash
- Crisis support and suicide prevention - Lifeline on 13 11 14, or counselling with translation on 131 450. Ask to talk to Lifeline in your language. Calls at the cost of a local call from a landline and additional charges apply for mobiles.
- Beyond Blue - 1300 224 636
- Suicide prevention - Suicideline on 1300 651 251
- Support for teens and young adults - Kidshelpline on 1800 551 800
- Sexual assault - Sexual Assault Crisis Line on 1800 806 292 or 9349 1766
- Sexual assault and family violence - 1800Respect on 1800 737 732
- Men with family and relationship concerns - MensLine on 1300 789 978
- Drugs, alcohol and gambling - Turning Point on 1800 888 236
- Gambling problems - Gambler's Help on 1800 858 858
There are many actions you can take to look after your wellbeing and physical/mental health. Check out the information below for ideas, strategies and online resources that can help.
- Learn more about Taking care of your mental health at home
- Find out about the importance of having a routine
- Learn how to manage uncertainty and anxiety or watch the video here.
- Find out more about stress management or watch the video here
- Find out about mindfulness or watch the video here
- Learn how to overcome procrastination or watch the video here.
- Find out how you can practise gratitude or watch our video here
- See our tips for Healthy sleep habits and sleep re-training or watch our video here.
- Learn some handy tips to build your self-confidence.