Under 18s

Under 18? Here’s what you need to know.

At Monash College, we understand it can be hard to leave home and adjust to a new country. That's why we specialise in helping younger students settle into life in Melbourne.

What support will you receive?

What do I need to do before I arrive?

Choose a guardian

Every student under 18 needs to have a guardian – someone who is responsible for you until you turn 18.  Before you arrive we need to know who your guardian is. He or she must be approved by the Department of Home Affairs before they arrange your student visa.

Your guardian can be:

  • a Monash College staff member (from the Monash College Under 18 Guardianship Service team)
  • a parent or relative approved by the Department of Home Affairs.

Download the fact sheet for the Monash Guardianship Service here.

Choose your accommodation

Before you arrive, we’ll also need to approve your accommodation. You can choose to:

Take a look at our accommodation options.

Complete the Welfare and accommodation form

This form provides us with important information about your guardianship and accommodation choices.

Meet the guardianship team

4 of the under 18 team members enjoying Lv4 Bourke st loungeAt Monash College, we have a team of guardians to take care of students who are under 18. You will be assigned one of our team members to act as your guardian. Think of us as a friendly face you can turn to whenever you need help. Your guardian will help you settle into life in Melbourne. You will also have regular meetings with your guardian on campus to make sure you feel happy and supported. Our guardians will help you with:

  • organising your orientation
  • opening a bank account
  • finding accommodation
  • arranging medical appointments
  • mental wellbeing
  • academic support
  • making friends
  • supporting you during emergencies
  • reporting to your parents.

The fee for our guardianship service is $8.85 per day.

What's it like sending your child away from home?

Thuc Anh and Kyle


"I was so worried about Kyle, so I wrote to his guardian, Hollie. She was very friendly and attentive. When Kyle arrived in Melbourne, he was so happy to find a Myki card in his room! Hollie gave my son lots of advice and encouragement. I would certainly recommend the Monash College guardianship service. The guardian takes on the responsibilities of a parent, but is also a reliable and close friend of your child."

Edna Liong with her family


"As a mother sending her 16-year-old daughter overseas to study, I was very nervous. My fears were relieved as soon as I met Anna. She was very reassuring in addressing my concerns. I really appreciate her meeting with my daughter, Edwina, on a regular basis to check her wellbeing and academic progress. I am really impressed with her dedication, commitment, caring nature and professionalism. I would recommend the Monash College guardianship service to any parent."

Changing your accommodation

If you're under 18, you must live in the accommodation that was listed on your student visa application.

If you want to change your arrangements, you'll need approval from your Monash College guardian and you'll need to complete the change of guardianship and accommodation form.