Our Monash English course is ideal if you don’t meet the English requirements for Foundation Year. When you apply you will automatically receive an offer for Monash English outlining the number of weeks you’ll need.
Why study Monash English?
- Monash English provides a direct pathway to Foundation Year, without the need to sit an IELTS (or equivalent) test
- It’s easy to apply and you’ll receive one packaged offer for Monash English Foundation Year and Monash University
- Make friends with other Foundation Year students before you start
- Experience the Monash style of learning, giving you an advantage when you start Foundation Year
- As a Monash English student, you’ll develop the skills required to prepare you for Foundation Year.
- Communicate confidently in English
- Give presentations, have discussions and work in a group
- Improve your grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation
- Improve your writing, reading and listening skills
- Take useful notes
- Learn how to respond to feedback
- Become an independent learner
When you arrive, we will give you a learning plan based on your study goals. Your plan will include tips and recommended resources. You'll receive regular feedback from your teachers to help you keep track of your progress.
|Duration||10-50 weeks depending on placement test and destination course.|
|Start date||Every five weeks|
Monday – Friday, 8.45am – 12.45pm |
Monday – Friday, 1pm–5.15pm
You will be assigned a morning or afternoon class to provide time for study and language development.
|Contact hours||20 hours per week + 15 hours of extra study|
|Validity||Monash English results are valid for six months.|
You can enter Monash English at any level. You will need to sit an approved English language test and achieve a minimum score of 4. Or, you can complete the Monash English Placement Test and enter without an IELTS score.* After we have assessed your application, we will send you an offer for the number of weeks of Monash English study that we recommend for you. See below for a guide to the entry requirement for each level.
|IELTS score (or equivalent)||Monash English entry level|
|Overall 4, Listening 4, Reading 4, Writing 4, Speaking 4||ME Pre Intermediate|
|Overall 4.5, Listening 4.5, Reading 4.5, Writing 4.5, Speaking 4.5||ME Intermediate|
|Overall 5, Listening 5, Reading 5, Writing 5, Speaking 5||ME Upper Intermediate|
|Overall 5.5, Listening 5.5, Reading 5.5, Writing 5.5, Speaking 5.5||ME Pre Advanced|
|Overall 6, Listening 6, Reading 6, Writing 6, Speaking 6||ME Advanced|
*MEPT results cannot be used to apply for a stand-alone Monash English program at the Monash English University English Language Centre or for any purpose other than to request a packaged offer Monash English program at the Monash University English Language Centre. The results must be accompanied or preceded by an application for Monash University, Monash College or Monash University Foundation Year.
Where to next?
Monash University Foundation Year
After completing the required level of Monash English, you can enter foundation year, without sitting an IELTS test.**
Monash College Diploma
After completing the required level of Monash English, you can enter Monash English Bridging for Diplomas, without sitting an IELTS test.**
If you do not study Monash English Bridging, to start a Monash College Diploma you will need to sit an IELTS test.
To enter the University you will need to sit an IELTS test.
You don't need to feel nervous about sitting the IELTS test. We have workshops to help you practice and develop the skills you need.
**You need to successfully complete your Monash English course within six months of the start date of your destination course.