Prepare for success at Monash University with direct entry into undergraduate degrees from all 10 faculties.
The Monash University Foundation Year is a pre-university program with proven success in preparing students for Monash University. As a Foundation Year student, you’ll develop your academic and English skills to the level expected of Monash University students, while studying subjects that prepare you for your future undergraduate course.
Our supportive environment and dedicated teaching and support staff will guide you each step of the way, helping you to achieve your academic potential.
Hear about our Foundation Year subjects from our students and teachers to find out the benefits of how the program helps prepare you for success at Monash University.
- Foundation Year Mathematics
- Foundation Year Biology
- Foundation Year Music
- Foundation Year Chemistry
- Foundation Year Contemporary Issues
- Foundation Year English
"I definitely recommend studying maths as part of Foundation Year, because it opened up many choices for my destination degree. I find that it’s really interesting how Fundamental Maths is not just theory-based learning but I was also able to learn how to use formula and where to apply it. The teachers have also been very encouraging and supportive. They have taught me to be more of an independent learner."
SOVANNLEE JIMMY BUNCHE (CAMBODIA)
"The Biology subject enabled me to improve my independent learning and research skills. I also had the opportunity to perform many lab reports and presentations which will prepare me to be more university-ready.”
DARREN SEE (SINGAPORE)
"I chose to study at Monash College because it offers a very wide scope of different subjects. Although my destination degree is Science and Commerce, studying music at Monash College helps me continue my passion for violin and might even earn me a place in the Monash University Orchestra."
JIE YU TAN (MALAYSIA)
"It has been an amazing experience studying Foundation Year at Monash College. I especially love it here because we have good facilities and the teachers are wonderful. They always try to moderate us and help us to do better."
DILMI VANDERLAN (SRI LANKA)
"My advice to students is to put in all your effort into Foundation Year as it’s your pathway to pursue your chosen destination degree at Monash University.”
SHATHA ALRUWAILI (OMAN)
"In the English class, we have a lot of discussions and other speaking activities such as oral presentations and those activities really helped me to improve my communications skills."
SAMANTHA WONG (MALAYSIA)
Why study Monash University Foundation Year?
- Guaranteed entry to Monash University (remember, you need to meet the entry requirements and degree prerequisites).
- Curriculum designed to prepare you for success at Monash University.
- Our teachers are experts in teaching international students.
- Enter all 10 faculties at Monash University after studying foundation year.
- We use the same advanced learning technology as Monash University.
- Highly supportive environment – you'll have a team of experts such as a learning skills adviser, student counsellor, careers adviser and library staff to support you.
Foundation year at a glance
|Destination||1st year Monash University|
Standard: 12 months|
Intensive: 9 months
Extended: 18 months
|Class structure||Classes and laboratory practicals for science subjects|
|Contact hours||5 hours per unit, per week|
|Intakes||January, March, July and August|
|Subjects||Choose from 13 subjects, English is compulsory|
Jakarta International College, Indonesia|
Sunway College, Malaysia
Universal College Lanka, Sri Lanka
Virscend Education, China (2019 onwards)
Find out more on our international partners pages.
What you will study
We offer 13 subjects as part of the Foundation Year program. Each subject is offered in two parts:
- Unit 1 introduces you to the subject area and key themes;
- Unit 2 expands your knowledge and understanding.
- Units 1 and 2 of English (compulsory subject) AND
- Units 1 and 2 of at least two other subjects AND
- Two additional units (stand alone units or paired subject units)
Each subject has a set of learning objectives that are aligned with the requirements for Monash University undergraduate degrees. Our curriculum combines essential theory and practical knowledge with the four skills critical to your future studies and your career: critical thinking, problem-solving, communication and collaboration.
Foundation Year subject options
Read more about: