Monash College Board
Professor Ken Sloan, Chair, Monash College Board
- Master (Hons) of English Language and Literature, The University of Glasgow
- MBA, University of Warwick
- Certified member of CPA Australia
With over 20 years’ experience as a senior executive in the business and academic support areas, Ken is currently the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Senior Vice-President (Enterprise and Governance) at Monash University, responsible for strategic partnerships with industry, commercialisation, new business creations, precinct development and enterprise. Ken is also the strategic lead on governance and risk across all Monash Group entities.
Ken previously held positions of Chief Operating Officer at the University of Warwick and Business Development Director, Universities and Higher Education within the Serco Group in London. He’s also an experienced Board member, Trustee, Secretary and Director for a number of commercial and charitable bodies.
Phil Harvey, Member, Monash College Board, Interim Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President
Phil Harvey joined Monash University in June 2019 in the role of Project Director (Finance) and in August 2020 was appointed Interim Executive Director, Corporate Finance.
As Interim Executive Director, Corporate Finance, Phil has made a positive impact in the University’s Corporate Finance division, supporting the University’s teaching, research and business needs, and leading a skilled and high-performance team to continue providing sound financial management and innovative business solutions, as well as the ongoing delivery of transformational and cultural change across the Finance portfolio.
Professor Susan Elliott AM, Member, Monash College Board, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Senior Vice-President (Education)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Melbourne
- Doctor of Medicine (doctorate by research) University of Melbourne
- Graduate Certificate, Health Economics, Monash University
- Graduate Certificate, Higher Education, University of New South Wales
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Honours and memberships:
- Emeritus Professor, University of Melbourne
- Past President and Honourary Advisor, Asia Pacific Association for International Education (APAIE)
- Member, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia
- Member, Asia Pacific Rim Universities (APRU) International Policy Advisory Committee
Susan joins the Monash College Board with extensive experience in the higher education sector. Susan currently holds the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Senior Vice-President Education at Monash University and was previously the Deputy Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International) at the University of Melbourne.
Susan holds the honour of being the first Australian and first woman elected to lead the Asia Pacific Association for International Education, a regional association for International Higher Education professionals. Susan is also a Director at Open Universities Australia.
Medical education has been a key focus among Professor Elliott’s research interests, and she has published extensively on the scholarship of education.
Dr Colin McLeod, Member, Monash College Board
- PhD (Commercialising New Technology), The University of Melbourne
- Master of Business Administration, The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Arts, The University of Melbourne.
With more than 30 years' business experience, Colin specialises in strategy, marketing and management. He has worked for both public and private-sector companies, including Goldman Sachs, JBWere, Telstra and the Australian Football League (AFL).
He is also an esteemed academic, being appointed at numerous international institutions, including the University of California, Berkley and the University of Cambridge. Colin joined our board in 2013.
Jo Mithen, Member, Monash College Board
- Advanced Management Programme, INSEAD
- Executive MBA, Melbourne Business School, The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Monash University
- Bachelor of Economics (B.Ec.), Monash University
- Fellow, Australian Human Resources Institute
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
As a Monash University alumna, Jo is a proud advocate of the power of an excellent education and the opportunities it provides.
She joined Monash College in 2008 as Chief Executive Officer. Having worked at senior levels with universities for more than 15 years, her expertise lies in her ability to recognise market trends and affect change.
Under her leadership, the company has tripled student enrolments and strengthened the quality of graduates entering the University. She has also extended international College partners, invested to diversify College leadership succession and unified the College under a single vision.
Kathleen Bailey-Lord, Member, Monash College Board
- Executive Education, Harvard Business School
- Macquarie Advanced Management Program, Macquarie Graduate School of Management
- Bachelor (Honours) in Political Science, History, University of Melbourne
Kathleen Bailey-Lord has 15 years of senior executive experience in Australasia and Asia in banking (ANZ), technology (IBM) and professional services (law and accounting).
Kathleen has extensive experience as a board director. Besides Monash College, she currently serves on the boards of Bank of Queensland, QBE Insurance (ANZ) and Melbourne Water. Kathleen is also on the Victorian Council of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. Previous board memberships include the Australian Government Solicitor (AGS), Trinity College and the University of Sydney Transformation Board.
Fabian Marrone, Member, Monash College Board, Chief Marketing Officer
- Business Double Degree (Marketing Management & Administrative Management), University of South Australia
Fabian Marrone is the Chief Marketing Officer of Monash University and leads the Strategic Marketing and Communications division for the organisation. Prior to joining Monash, Fabian was the Vice-President of Global Marketing and Business Development at Hobsons North America following a successful three-year stint as Vice-President of Marketing and Partnerships at Hobsons APAC and EMEA (now known as QS Enrolment Solutions).
Fabian has also held senior marketing positions with Adecco Group UK and Ireland, and regional management, sales and marketing positions with CAMMS APAC, North America and UK.
Fabian has developed an international reputation for his expertise in digital transformation, marketing, data insights and general management. His record includes:
- CMO of the Year (Australian Marketing Institute, 2019)
- CMO50 list (2019 and 2020)
- Marketing campaign of the year, If you don't like it, change it. (The PIEoneer Awards 2019)
- Golden Lion in Health & Wellness, Sip Safe (2018)
- Graphite Pencil, A Future without Change (D&AD Awards, 2020)
His vast skill set in strategic planning, marketing and sales enabled Hobsons to achieve international market penetration and thought leadership status. While at Hobsons, Fabian designed a data science and digital marketing methodology that was adopted by 12 universities across the globe.