Monash College Board
Dr Christine Nixon, Chair, Monash College Board
- Honorary Doctorate of Laws, Macquarie University
- Honorary Doctorate of the University, University of Ballarat
- Honorary Doctorate of Laws, Monash University
- Honorary Doctorate of Letters, University of Wollongong
- Master of Public Administration, Harvard University
- Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy and Politics), Macquarie University
- Diploma in Labour Relations and Law, University of Sydney
Honours and memberships:
- Member, Monash University Council
- Inaugural Chair, Good Shepherd Microfinance Board
- Fellow, Australian and New Zealand School of Government
- National Fellow, Institute of Public Administration Australia
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Management
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Police Management
As the former Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police, Christine is an experienced leader with a history of managing organisational reform and cultural change.
Deputy Chancellor Monash University, Christine is also a respected teacher, specialising in leadership, regulation, corruption prevention and communications. An advocate for women, disadvantaged youth and multi-faith and multicultural communities, she has received numerous awards in recognition of her contributions. Christine joined our board in 2012.
Graham Cunningham, Member, Monash College Board
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), London Business School
- Bachelor of Economics (Accounting and Economics), Monash University
Graham has more than 30 years' experience in domestic and international investment banking. Throughout his esteemed career, he spent six years as a partner at KPMG, before founding Paradigm Advisory, a boutique financial consulting firm.
As Company Director for more than 15 years, he is now a professional Chairman and Director, specialising in mergers and acquisitions, project and property financings, and major infrastructure projects. Graham joined our board in 2009.
Professor Susan Elliott, Member, Monash College Board, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President Education
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Melbourne
- Doctor of Medicine (doctorate by research) University of Melbourne
- Graduate Certificate, Health Economics, Monash University
- Graduate Certificate, Higher Education, University of New South Wales
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Honours and memberships:
- Emeritus Professor, University of Melbourne
- Past President and Honourary Advisor, Asia Pacific Association for International Education (APAIE)
- Member, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia
Susan joins the Monash College Board with extensive experience in the higher education sector. Susan currently holds the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President Education at Monash University and was previously the Deputy Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International) at the University of Melbourne.
Susan holds the honour of being the first Australian and first woman elected to lead the Asia Pacific Association for International Education, a regional association for International Higher Education professionals.
Medical education has been a key focus among Professor Elliott’s research interests, and she has published extensively on the scholarship of education.
Dr Colin McLeod, Member, Monash College Board
- PhD (Commercialising New Technology), The University of Melbourne
- Master of Business Administration, The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Arts, The University of Melbourne.
With more than 30 years' business experience, Colin specialises in strategy, marketing and management. He has worked for both public and private-sector companies, including Goldman Sachs, JBWere, Telstra and the Australian Football League (AFL).
He is also an esteemed academic, being appointed at numerous international institutions, including the University of California, Berkley and the University of Cambridge. Colin joined our board in 2013.
Jo Mithen, Member, Monash College Board
- Advanced Management Programme, INSEAD
- Executive MBA, Melbourne Business School, The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Monash University
- Bachelor of Economics (B.Ec.), Monash University
- Fellow, Australian Human Resources Institute
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
As a Monash University alumna, Jo is a proud advocate of the power of an excellent education and the opportunities it provides.
She joined Monash College in 2008 as Chief Executive Officer. Having worked at senior levels with universities for more than 15 years, her expertise lies in her ability to recognise market trends and affect change.
Under her leadership, the company has tripled student enrolments and strengthened the quality of graduates entering the University. She has also extended international College partners, invested to diversify College leadership succession and unified the College under a single vision.
David Pitt, Member, Monash College Board
- Master of Business Administration, RMIT University
- Bachelor of Arts (Economics), The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Science (Pure Mathematics and Statistics) (Hons), The University of Melbourne
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member, Association of Superannuation Funds Australia
David joined Monash University in 2005 as Senior Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer. Until his retirement in late 2017, he led financial planning and budgeting, corporate accounting, financial services, business strategy, major projects, funding and investments of the domestic and international operations of the university.
Prior to this appointment, his work involved strategic management and analysis in various roles at Telstra and other telecommunication companies. David joined our board in 2009.
Kathleen Bailey-Lord, Member, Monash College Board
- Executive Education, Harvard Business School
- Macquarie Advanced Management Program, Macquarie Graduate School of Management
- MBA, Monash University
- Bachelor (Honours) in Political Science, History, University of Melbourne
Kathleen Bailey-Lord has 15 years of senior executive experience in Australasia and Asia in banking (ANZ), technology (IBM) and professional services (law and accounting).
Kathleen has extensive experience as a board director. Besides Monash College, she currently serves on the boards of QBE Insurance (ANZ) and Melbourne Water. Previous board memberships include the Australian Government Solicitor (AGS), Trinity College and the University of Sydney.
Paul Townsend, Member, Monash College Board
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting), Swinburne University of Technology
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants, Australia
Paul currently is the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice-President of Monash University, overseeing business strategy, financial management, funding and investments and Monash capital works programs (worldwide).
Paul joined the Board in 2018 and brings an extensive record in capital management, equity and debt capital market activities. He is a highly-qualified commercial executive with a diverse background including experience as a CFO within ASX listed companies.
Ken Sloan, Member, Monash College Board
- Master (Hons) of English Language and Literature, The University of Glasgow
- MBA, University of Warwick
With over 20 years experience as a senior executive in the business and academic support areas, Ken is currently the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Enterprise) at Monash University, responsible for developing and growing Monash’s links with industry and external organisations.
Ken previously held positions of Chief Operating Officer at the University of Warwick and Business Development Director, Universities and Higher Education within the Serco Group in London. He’s also an experienced Board member, Trustee, Secretary and Director for a number of commercial and charitable bodies.