Monash College Board
Professor Susan Elliott AM, Chair, Monash College Board, Provost and Senior Vice-President
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Melbourne
- Doctor of Medicine (doctorate by research) University of Melbourne
- Graduate Certificate, Health Economics, Monash University
- Graduate Certificate, Higher Education, University of New South Wales
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Honours and memberships:
- Emeritus Professor, University of Melbourne
- Past President and Honourary Advisor, Asia Pacific Association for International Education (APAIE)
- Member, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia
- Member, Asia Pacific Rim Universities (APRU) International Policy Advisory Committee
Susan joins the Monash College Board with extensive experience in the higher education sector. Susan currently holds the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Senior Vice-President Education at Monash University and was previously the Deputy Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International) at the University of Melbourne.
Susan holds the honour of being the first Australian and first woman elected to lead the Asia Pacific Association for International Education, a regional association for International Higher Education professionals. Susan is also a Director at Open Universities Australia.
Medical education has been a key focus among Professor Elliott’s research interests, and she has published extensively on the scholarship of education.
Professor Simon Wilkie, Member, Monash College Board
- BComm (Hons) with first-class honours in Economics from the University of New South Wales
- PhD and MA in Economics from the University of Rochester
Professor Simon Wilkie is currently the Dean Faculty of Business and Economics, Head of Monash Business School at Monash University. Previous positions include Professor of Economics in the Department of Economics and Professor of Economics, Communication and Law in the University of Southern California (USC) Gould School of Law and head of USC’s Department of Economics and the USC Center for Communication Law and Policy.
Simon’s career spans beyond the higher education sphere and include appointments as Chief Economic Policy Strategist at Microsoft Corporation and Chief Economist with the US Federal Communications Commission.
Simon is a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Communication and a former member of the editorial board of the Journal of Public Economic Theory.
Leigh Petschel, Member, Monash College Board
- Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting and Finance University of Melbourne.
Mr Leigh Petschel is the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President at Monash University.
Leigh’s experience combines leadership and strategic thinking in cross-cultural settings, capital strategy and advancement of external relations with investment communities and partnerships with industry and government. He has held executive roles in a range of large organisations. Prior to joining Monash University, he was a General Manager and Vice President with Transurban in Australia and North America, leading finance, operations, innovation and new market expansion. Mr Petschel brings a strong global perspective having spent time in the US, Canada and the UK.
Leigh is a member of Chartered Accountant (CAANZ); and is a graduate and member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Dr Colin McLeod, Member, Monash College Board
- PhD (Commercialising New Technology), The University of Melbourne
- Master of Business Administration, The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Arts, The University of Melbourne.
With more than 30 years' business experience, Colin specialises in strategy, marketing and management. He has worked for both public and private-sector companies, including Goldman Sachs, JBWere, Telstra and the Australian Football League (AFL).
He is also an esteemed academic, being appointed at numerous international institutions, including the University of California, Berkley and the University of Cambridge. Colin joined our board in 2013.
Jo Mithen, Member, Monash College Board
- Advanced Management Programme, INSEAD
- Executive MBA, Melbourne Business School, The University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Monash University
- Bachelor of Economics (B.Ec.), Monash University
- Fellow, Australian Human Resources Institute
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
As a Monash University alumna, Jo is a proud advocate of the power of an excellent education and the opportunities it provides.
She joined Monash College in 2008 as Chief Executive Officer. Having worked at senior levels with universities for more than 15 years, her expertise lies in her ability to recognise market trends and affect change.
Under her leadership, the company has tripled student enrolments and strengthened the quality of graduates entering the University. She has also extended international College partners, invested to diversify College leadership succession and unified the College under a single vision.
Kathleen Bailey-Lord, Member, Monash College Board
- Executive Education, Harvard Business School
- Macquarie Advanced Management Program, Macquarie Graduate School of Management
- Bachelor (Honours) in Political Science, History, University of Melbourne
Kathleen Bailey-Lord is an experienced company director with experience across public, private and For-Purpose Enterprises. Kathleen has enjoyed leading teams across Australasia and the Asian region with a career spanning the technology, financial services and professional services sectors.
Kathleen currently serves on the boards of Alinta Energy, QBE Insurance (Auspac) and Melbourne Water. As a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD), Kathleen is also a member of the AICD Victorian Council and AICD Governance of Innovation and Technology Panel.
Kathleen’s previous board roles include Bank of Queensland, Australian Government Solicitor, Trinity College and the University of Sydney’s ‘Transformation Board’.
Read Kathleen’s extended profile | Visit Kathleen’s LinkedIn profile
Fabian Marrone, Member, Monash College Board, Chief Marketing Officer
- Business Double Degree (Marketing Management & Administrative Management), University of South Australia
Fabian Marrone is the Chief Marketing Officer of Monash University and leads the Strategic Marketing and Communications division for the organisation. Prior to joining Monash, Fabian was the Vice-President of Global Marketing and Business Development at Hobsons North America following a successful three-year stint as Vice-President of Marketing and Partnerships at Hobsons APAC and EMEA (now known as QS Enrolment Solutions).
Fabian has also held senior marketing positions with Adecco Group UK and Ireland, and regional management, sales and marketing positions with CAMMS APAC, North America and UK.
Fabian has developed an international reputation for his expertise in digital transformation, marketing, data insights and general management. His record includes:
- CMO of the Year (Australian Marketing Institute, 2019)
- CMO50 list (2019 and 2020)
- Marketing campaign of the year, If you don't like it, change it. (The PIEoneer Awards 2019)
- Golden Lion in Health & Wellness, Sip Safe (2018)
- Graphite Pencil, A Future without Change (D&AD Awards, 2020)
His vast skill set in strategic planning, marketing and sales enabled Hobsons to achieve international market penetration and thought leadership status. While at Hobsons, Fabian designed a data science and digital marketing methodology that was adopted by 12 universities across the globe.