If you want to experience life in an Australian home, living with a local family – known as homestay – is a good choice. You'll stay in a safe, supportive environment (just like home!) and get to practise your English every day.
You can share your culture with your new family as they help you explore Melbourne. You'll make new friendships that will last after you leave.
Provider: Monash Homestay Accommodation Services
Who: Students under 18, diploma or foundation year students.
Location: Throughout Melbourne.
Travel: Within one hour of a Monash University campus.
Facilities: Australian family environment, three meals per day, utilities. You will have your own bedroom with a bed (and linen), desk, chair, lamp and storage for your clothes. Usually you will share a bathroom with the rest of your family.
Cost: $378 per week + $350 placement fee
Before you arrive
Before you arrive, we'll send you an information pack about your host family. You'll receive a student orientation manual (PDF, 0.37 MB) and pre-departure information (PDF, 0.03 MB) so you know what to expect before you arrive.
When you arrive
When you arrive a free airport transfer will take you to meet your homestay family. We recommend you allow two weeks to settle in and to get to know your family. In exceptional circumstances we will move you quickly and at no charge.
In the case of emergencies we offer a 24-hour telephone hotline.
How to apply
Step one: Application form
To apply, submit an application form. You will need:
- agent details (if you have an agent)
- your contact details
- emergency contact information
- your guardian's details (if you are under 18).
Tips for applying:
- Read the terms and conditions before clicking 'accept'.
- Click 'group' if you are part of a study group. Click 'individual' if you are not.
If you do not receive a confirmation email or if you have any questions, please email us.
Step two: Pay your fees
When we have matched you with a homestay host, we will email you an invoice with:
- $350 placement fee details (non-refundable)
- homestay fees for the length of your stay.
When you have paid your invoice, please email us a copy of your receipt. We will then send you your host's profile.
Step three: Arrival details
- Send us your flight information. We will tell your host family when you're arriving.
- Book your free airport transfer at least three days before you arrive.
If you're interested in becoming a homestay host, visit our Monash homestay services page.