At Monash College we specialise in teaching and supporting students who are under 18 years of age. We understand that many of our students will be living away from home for the first time. Your welfare and safety are our top priority. You will be supported and assisted every step of the way.
Before you arrive
Organising your welfare
By law, Monash College must approve the welfare and accommodation for students under 18 before the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) can process your visa applications. To ensure you receive the best possible care, Monash College offers a U18 Guardianship Service.
The Monash College U18 Guardianship Service will be available to all Monash international students who are under 18 and will not be living with a parent or relative during their studies. Prior to enrolment each student will be assigned a Monash College Under 18 Guardian who will be responsible for their wellbeing until they turn 18 years of age.
This service includes:
- Regular check-ins with dedicated staff on campus, in multiple languages
- close liaison with students' accommodation providers
- after-hours phone support
- direct contact with parents
- on-site support with a range of essential services, including making medical appointments, gaining approval for travel etc.
Organising your accommodation
To simplify your decision-making when choosing your accommodation, Monash has pre-approved a list of accommodation providers that will provide you with a comfortable living space and access to the facilities you need during your studies. There are three main options:
- On campus through Monash Residential Services
- Student accommodation through Urbanest Melbourne Central, Arrow on Swanston, Unilodge on A'Beckett or Dudley House
- With a local family through Monash Homestay
Which option you choose will depend on which campus you are studying at and the style of accommodation you would prefer. For more information about accommodation download our accommodation brochure (PDF, 0.37 MB) or see the accommodation section of our website.
It's easy to apply
To make the acceptance process easier apply for the Monash U18 Guardianship Service and your accommodation using one form. Follow these easy steps:
- Apply: Submit your application to Student Admissions.
- Offer: Receive an offer from Monash (which includes a link to the Welfare and Accommodation Arrangements Form)
- Complete the Welfare and Accommodation Arrangements form: complete the form, selecting your preferred welfare and accommodation options
- Confirm: After submitting the form, you will receive confirmation of your welfare and accommodation. You will need to pay for your guardianship service ($7 per day, plus GST) and your deposit for accommodation before accepting your offer.
- Submit: Sign and submit your offer letter to Central Admissions along with tuition fee payment and copies of identification
- CAAW: Once approved, Student Admissions will issue an electronic Certificate of Enrolment (eCoE) and a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter. If you have chosen to live with a parent or relative, download Form N157 and submit to the DIBP.
- Apply: Apply for your student visa.
During your studies
We offer ongoing support for under 18 students
While you are studying at Monash College and under 18 years of age, we offer you ongoing support, including:
- ensuring you attend enrolment and orientation
- providing free airport reception when you first arrive
- monitoring your attendance and contact you if you are absent
- providing access to an on-campus counsellor
- supporting you during your studies through our dedicated student experience and academic support teams.
Changing your welfare and accommodation arrangements
Students under 18 must keep the same accommodation and welfare arrangements you listed when your visa was approved (as stated in student visa condition 8532).
If you wish to change your arrangements, you must first receive approval from your Monash Under 18 Guardian. Complete under 18 current students change of care arrangements form (pdf, 429KB) (PDF, 0.46 MB).e