Information for students under 18


At Monash College we specialise in teaching and supporting students who are under 18 years of age. We understand that many of our students will be living away from home for the first time. Your welfare and safety are our top priority. You will be supported and assisted every step of the way.

Before you arrive

Organising your welfare

By law, Monash College must approve the welfare and accommodation for students under 18 before the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) can process your visa applications. To ensure you receive the best possible care, Monash College offers a U18 Guardianship Service.

The Monash College U18 Guardianship Service will be available to all Monash international students who are under 18 and will not be living with a parent or relative during their studies. Prior to enrolment each student will be assigned a Monash College Under 18 Guardian who will be responsible for their wellbeing until they turn 18 years of age.

This service includes:

  • Regular check-ins with dedicated staff on campus, in multiple languages
  • close liaison with students' accommodation providers
  • after-hours phone support
  • direct contact with parents
  • on-site support with a range of essential services, including making medical appointments, gaining approval for travel etc.

Download the U18 Guardianship Service fact sheet (PDF, 0.76 MB)

Organising your accommodation

To simplify your decision-making when choosing your accommodation, Monash has pre-approved a list of accommodation providers that will provide you with a comfortable living space and access to the facilities you need during your studies. There are three main options:

  • On campus through Monash Residential Services
  • Student accommodation through Urbanest Melbourne Central, Arrow on Swanston, Unilodge on A'Beckett or Dudley House
  • With a local family through Monash Homestay

Which option you choose will depend on which campus you are studying at and the style of accommodation you would prefer. For more information about accommodation download our accommodation brochure (PDF, 0.53 MB) or see the accommodation section of our website.

It's easy to apply

To make the acceptance process easier apply for the Monash U18 Guardianship Service and your accommodation using one form. Follow these easy steps:

  1. Apply: Submit your application to Central Admissions.
  2. Offer: Receive an offer from Monash (which includes a link to the Welfare and Accommodation Arrangements Form)
  3. Complete: the Welfare and Accommodation Arrangements Form and select your preferred welfare and accommodation options. You also need to contact your preferred accommodation provider and make a booking.
  4. Submit: Sign and submit Part B of your offer letter to Central Admissions along with your proof of payments, the completed Welfare and Accommodation Arrangements Form, accommodation booking confirmation and copies of all required documents as listed on the Welfare and Accommodation Arrangements Form. (Please note that Internet access at Monash is provided for academic, research and administrative purposes. While we provide no censorship, you are expected to follow the Acceptable use of IT procedures.)
  5. Confirm: If you choose Monash welfare arrangement, you will be invoiced for your guardianship service ($7.27 per day, plus GST). Once paid your welfare arrangement will be confirmed
  6. CAAW: Once your welfare and accommodation arrangement are arranged, Central Admissions will issue an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) and a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter. If you have chosen to live with a parent or relative, download Form N157 and submit to the DIBP.
  7. Apply: Apply for your student visa

Download the Under 18 Application Process fact sheet (PDF, 0.02 MB)

During your studies

We offer ongoing support for under 18 students

While you are studying at Monash College and under 18 years of age, we offer you ongoing support, including:

  • ensuring you attend enrolment and orientation
  • providing free airport reception when you first arrive
  • monitoring your attendance and contact you if you are absent
  • providing access to an on-campus counsellor
  • supporting you during your studies through our dedicated student experience and academic support teams.

Changing your welfare and accommodation arrangements

Students under 18 must keep the same accommodation and welfare arrangements you listed when your visa was approved (as stated in student visa condition 8532).

If you wish to change your arrangements, you must first receive approval from your Monash Under 18 Guardian. Complete under 18 current students change of care arrangements form (pdf, 429KB) (PDF, 0.46 MB).e